Sunday, August 16, 2009

Working with pain

I’m actually writing this article with a little bit of pain in my knee. I’ve written before about the good pain and the bad pain. This is clearly the bad pain. It shows up after about 3 miles or running. I’m well aware that I’m 37 now. I do have 2 “permanent” injuries that I will live with for ever. Both those injuries became permanent because I was stupid and did not stop exercising when I should have. I do not want this to be the third one.

Cross training is one way to deal with pain. I’m cross training on my bicycle right now. It offers my a low impact workout to stay in shape, while reducing the stress on my knee Now with wind chill I sometimes do this in the gym, but we do still have some mild days that I can go outside and exercise. Swimming is also a good activity to consider.

Finally rest. Your body is injured. Listen to it and just take a week off. Remember “Retreat today to live and fight another day.”

No comments: