Sunday, February 8, 2009

The countdown has started!

I would like to thank those individuals who commented about how much I ate this weekend while at NOSC Chicago. For the record, I lost another pound over the weekend. How??? Well let’s look at what I ate.

Prior to leaving for the airport, I made sure I had lunch. I also stopped at the USO and snacked on Power Aid and a trail mix bar. My wife also packed some nutria grain bars in my backpack to make sure I was not tempted by the overpriced goodies at the airport. Thursday night The Grubbster and I had dinner at the Rain Forest Café. My meal was the chicken fajitas. Now, I do not deny that I ate all the chicken and veggies. I did not touch the sour cream and only part of the cheese. In short, I had a relatively healthy meal. I also stocked my quarters with fruit and mostly ate Subway the rest of the weekend. My one vice was the pizza at Silo. But hey, you need a cheat day at least once a week.

I had hoped to get to the gym, but time only allowed for pushups and sit-ups every morning. I did take an hour and went hiking at O’Hare. Yes, I said hiking. I’ll be sharing that one in the next issue of our unit’s fitness newsletter due out in May.
Now is a really good time for a really good reality check. Ask yourself these questions:
1 – Are you in shape?
2 – Are you comfortable in a bathing suit?
3 – Can you go outside, right now, and get at least an Excellent on the PRT?

Most people will answer no to at least 2 out of 3 of these. Don’t put it off any more, get ready for the PFA.

This week make sure your run a mile at least twice. You can do a third mile or some other form of cardio. Don’t look at the minimum for your push-ups and sit-ups. Look at the maximum and build up to that goal. As the lesson above shows, you can still eat well, as long as you eat smart.

No comments: